[mythtv-users] Trying to update, but have dependency problems

Bob Sully malibyte56 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:03:59 UTC 2020

> I checked on the python3-future package at packages.ubuntu.com and it
> does exist for 18.04. But I got several error messages while using
> the search on that web site. I had *to* retry the searches until they
> succeeded. So I am wondering if the problem may be with the
> downloading of the index files from the package servers, rather than
> the packages not being there. If you manually run "apt *update*", do
> you get any errors? You might also like *to* try apt's repair command:

> apt install --fix-broken

That didn't work (I had tried it before), but thanks for the suggestion  ;-)

All is working now.

To help anyone else that might run into this, I was able to fix it by
downloading the .deb packages I needed from pkgs.org (where there are links
to many different distros and releases).

After I installed them the update went remarkably smoothly given the amount
of applications I have running on this machine (it's not just a media
server).  The only minor hiccup involved LXDE.  The new version is built
against a different codebase than the last one, and gave me some weird
results (microscopic fonts and one or two other issues).  After switching
to XFCE, all is good, and the machine is rock-solid.

Take care, everyone.
Bob