[mythtv-users] Audible POP from speaker on starting playback

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:16:14 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 4:42 PM DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> Trial and Error seemed to support that something was turning the sound card off when not in use and the pop was caused by the card being turned on again.
>
> If I start playing a recording within 10s of stopping a previous one then no 'Pop'.  Wait longer than that and I hear the pop.
>
> This link discusses the issue:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/565886/how-to-disable-the-power-saving-for-snd-hda-codec-realtek
>
> ,,,and the suggested workaround appears to have worked for me.  Namely
>
>> As a workaround, you can comment out the following line in /etc/pulse/default.pa:
>> load-module module-suspend-on-idle
>> Afterwards, restart PulseAudio with systemctl restart --user pulseaudio.
>

> I never had a pop, but I missed the beginning of things like "You have mail" (I would hear "ave mail").  Maybe my driver/audio system has something on startup/resume to suppress the pop?  Anyway, that suspend-on-idle module is more for battery-operated devices (laptops) and not real significant in a media center, so I commented out the load line and I no longer miss the beginnings of sounds.

As is often the case, the archlinux community has
a prefered/recommended/better fix (which involves
a user override) documented at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#Pops_when_starting_and_stopping_playback

No matter your opinion of the archlinux distro itself,
their documentation, especially around the desktop
experience, is a really excellent resource.