[mythtv-users] Ubuntu lirc_options.conf with BOTH receiver and transmitter

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 22 02:58:08 UTC 2020

On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:11:37 -0400, you wrote:

>Does anyone have an example lirc_options.conf file that has both a
>receiver and transmitter in it, with two different drivers? My
>understanding is that I can have one instance of lircd with ONE
>receiver and ONE transmitter at the same time.  I can get a mceusb to
>work with lirc default driver on its own, and I can also get a ftdi
>FT230X based USB ir blaster using the ftdix driver on it's own, but I
>don't see ANY documentation showing how to have BOTH the receiver and
>transmitter in the /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file.  There seems to
>be so little documentation on ir blasters on lirc.org on newer
>versions of lirc.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

You are right that the blasters do not seem to be documented on
lirc.org (or anywhere else that I can find) with the new lirc.
Ultimately, it would be possible to run two lirc setups using
different configurations if you need to use two different drivers.
irsend has a -d option to specify the device (lircd socket) it will
use to transmit.  And lirc_options has an "output" setting that allows
you to specify the lirc socket that lircd will create.  The
lircd-setup program takes an argument on its command line to tell it
where to put its output file instead of /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.
So that just leaves lirc-setup as a potential problem - I am not quite
sure how it works yet, but it is all Python 3 code, so if it needs
adjustment to make it work with a second lircd, then it should be
possible.

And I have just found Appendix A9 of the lirc documentation where it
recommends passing override settings to a second copy of lircd from
its .service file:

https://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html#appendix-9

which gets around the need for two separate configurations.