[mythtv-users] backend storage performance needs?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 21 12:37:37 UTC 2020

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I wrote before I run with disabled barriers. I can do that because my
> server is powered through a UPS which gives it a few minutes of autonomy
> in case of a power cut.

Does your server also have redundant PSUs with at least one PSU *not* on the UPS ?
Over the years I've seen as many, possibly more, issues caused by UPS failure as I have seen them saved. Of course, you tend not to see all the brief interruptions the UPS rides through - so the numbers will be skewed by perception. It also depends on your power quality - at my last place I had systems with uptimes of over a year and no UPS, very reliable mains :-) At another place before that we had many short cuts due to long runs of overhead supplies.

It's "really annoying" to get your nice secure setup with UPS - only to have the UPS fall over and take everything down :-(

As to redundant PSUs, a friend told me a good story a while ago. He had an HP server with (IIRC) 4 PSUs - one of which failed. The server carried on working fine, until for whatever reason it got shut down - but would not power up again. It turned out that it would not startup with a missing or failed PSU.
There's always "interesting" ways the IT will turn around and bite your backside :D

Simon