[mythtv-users] frontend video smoothness

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 21:20:09 UTC 2020

On 19/05/2020 14:38, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 19/05/2020 12:08, John Pilkington wrote:
>  > On 19/05/2020 08:54, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>  >> On 18/05/2020 17:54, John Pilkington wrote:
>  >>> And I recently noticed that the leanfront seems to work well with
>  >>> live DVB-T mpeg2 material, while recordings now have good audio but
>  >>> the video pauses briefly about once a second and sync is terrible...
>  >>
>  >> That sounds like the TV being driven at the wrong frame rate, either a
>  >> 24fps movies played with the TV running at 25fps or vice versa. I'm
>  >> finding leanfront really very nice to use these days, but that is one
>  >> constant pain, having to do the strange vulcan nerve pinch on the
>  >> firestick control to get 24fps.
>  >
>  >  > Paul G.
>  >
>  > Yes, for leanfront it might be partially a framerate problem.  Firestick
>  > is natively 60 Hz and the content is 25 Hz.  My attempts at logging have
>  > given only a few lines, unlike Yeechang's from his Shield.  I'll look
>  > out for more options.  The 'live' behaviour came as a surprise.
>
> I just found a forum post suggesting that the Fire Stick 4K wrongly
> switches 25fps content to 24fps:
> https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zSzsmSAC/fire-tv-stick-4k-framerate-switching-faulty.
> Perhaps the Shield does the same. That would certainly explain a tick
> every second.
>
> P.

Hmm.  Interesting, but 9 months ago.  It looks to me as if the firestick
4k leanfront-136 now plays mainstream SD channels well, both live or as
.ts recordings, but I routinely cut and convert most of those to .mpg
with stereo, and leanfront playback then has unsmooth or sometimes
frozen video.  The link suggests that 'match original frame rate'
doesn't work for all kinds of input, and that could explain it.

John P