[mythtv-users] backend storage performance needs?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue May 19 10:44:41 UTC 2020

Just an opinion request here.  When I built my current backend it was an
old motherboard with lots of SATA II (3Gb/s) ports. I was worried about
the need to have 2 recording drives defined so 2 simultaneous recordings
would go to different drives.

I also wanted RAID mirrors so I used 4-2TB drives with mdadm RAID 1. A
lot to maintain as drives do fail and RAID volumes have to be replaced
and rebuilt. Replacing and rebuilding has occurred on average of once a
year.

So the question is, if I bought a new motherboard with SATA III (6Gb.s)
ports and new SATA III high performance hard drives would I really need
to define 2 recording drives? i.e. use 2-4TB drives in RAID 1 mirror
configuration.

My tuner is a PCIe Hauppauge WinTV Quat HD. I have 4 tuners defined with
each tuner having a maximum recordings of 2. But I've never recorded
more than 4 channels at once with some back-to-back programs on the same
channel.

With the current speed of processors, serial connections, and hard
drives do I still need 2 recording drives defined?

Since SSDs and RAID is not recommended, I avoided that in the discussion.

Jim A