[mythtv-users] mythfrontend keybindings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 18 16:36:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:05:19 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> If p was being trapped by the desktop, that would be very unusual.
>> Desktops almost always use Alt- or Ctrl-Alt- keys for hotkeys.  And if
>> you do p on the desktop, you would hope that you would see something
>> happen as a result.  I am still on Xubuntu 18.04 and there in the
>> Setttings > Window Manager > Keyboard tab I can not see any single
>> alphabetic keystrokes, and no p key.  For the obvious reason that if
>> you wanted to type p into a field in a program, you really do not want
>> it grabbed by the desktop before it gets there.
>>
>> What sort of remote is it?  How does it interface with the system?
>> Does it have any testing software?  Is lirc running and grabbing
>> keystrokes from the remote somehow?
>>

>The remote is an Air Mouse as shown on the wiki:
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote
>It's RF and connects via USB receiver.
>lirc is not installed
>Here's what I just did.  In Settings -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.
>I added a shortcut to run mate-calc if I pressed my remotes >|| button. It
>created the short cut noting that the key would be the AudioPlay. However
>this didn't work as something else has captured the AudioPlay button.
>That's why mythfrontend can't set that button to pause.
>
>Jim A

Ok, it is just a mouse and keyboard as far as the system is concerned.
So you should be able to use it in a terminal session and see what
keystrokes it is producing when you use the pause button.  Or install
screenkey:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/screenkey-show-key-presses-screen-ubuntu

It should be available as a package:

apt install screenkey

When it is running, screenkey shows the keystrokes as they happen in
an overlay band across the mid-bottom of the screen and makes it easy
to see what each keystroke is.