[mythtv-users] mythfrontend keybindings

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:29:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:42 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2020 06:58:51 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I'm 99% complete with getting mythfrontend setup on a Core i7
> >development system, stuck in a closet and connected to my 4K UHD TV.
> >
> >I'm having to use RF wireless keyboard, mouse, and remote control. Using
> >IR is not easily done in the application.
> >
> >Since I'm using Xubuntu 20.04 I have certain keybindings that are tied
> >to XFCE and can't be used by mythfrontend by default.  I have edited
> >Settings -> Keyboard to fix most of these.  However, pause/play are not
> >configured in those settings, so I don't know where to fix these.
> >
> >I do know that when I use mythfrontend Edit Keys that I can't change
> >pause or play. In fact Edit Keys doesn't even seen them when pressed.
> >
> >However, when I use the default media app, Parole, the remote pause and
> >play do work.
> >
> >Any idea on where I can remote the keybinding for pause and play so
> >mythfrontend can grab them.
> >
> >Jim A
>
> Whenever I need to find keybindings, I resort to database searches:
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from keybindings where
> hostname='mypvr' and description like '%pause%';
>
> +-------------+------------+----------------------------------------------------------+---------+----------+
> | context     | action     | description
>             | keylist | hostname |
>
> +-------------+------------+----------------------------------------------------------+---------+----------+
> | TV Playback | PAUSE      | Pause
>             | P       | mypvr    |
> | TV Playback | FFWDSTICKY | Fast Forward (Sticky) or Forward one second
> while paused | >,.     | mypvr    |
> | TV Playback | RWNDSTICKY | Rewind (Sticky) or Rewind one second while
> paused        | ,,<     | mypvr    |
> | Music       | PAUSE      | Pause/Start playback
>            | P       | mypvr    |
> | Weather     | PAUSE      | Pause current page
>            | P       | mypvr    |
>
> +-------------+------------+----------------------------------------------------------+---------+----------+
> 5 rows in set (0.01 sec)
>
> The p key for pause is used in the "TV Playback" and "Music" contexts
> - if you change it in one, you probably should change it in both.  I
> ignore "Weather" as I do not have it installed.  Do not forget to also
> search the jumppoints table when looking for keybindings:
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from jumppoints where hostname='mypvr'
> and description like '%pause%';
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> I would not have thought there was any problem with XFCE and the p key
> though - so I obviously am missing something about how your RF remote
> works.

I'm pretty sure my remote's pause/play button is being trapped by the
Desktop environment because I can define another unused remote button to
the TV Playback 'pause' function in Edit Keys and that works.

I could always put stickers on the remote buttons LOL