[mythtv-users] mythtv frontend v31 on OSX High-Sierra 10.13.6

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Mon May 18 10:10:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:51 AM jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 17 May 2020, at 8:31 pm, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
> >
> > I've got lots to learn.
> > I built, with your ansible script, in a new VM
> > I took mythtv-31 and (sensibly) copied to my laptop.
> > I ran it by cli and every thing 'worked' without sig 11. So the basic
> build is good.
> >
> > I cannot figure this out (identical to your build)
> > I have configured seperate GUI and VIDEO resolutions that are sensible.
> > I 'launch' the app
> >
> > http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic3.png
> >
> > I play a recording
> >
> > http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic4.png
> >
> > I exit
> >
> > http://tigger.ws/downloads/mythpic5.png
> >
> > Can anybody explain to me pretty please
>
> John thanks so.
>
> Just to sumarize
>
> - I installed a catelina VM
> - I installed macports
> - I followed their instructions about Xcode
> - I built with johns build script running the script (not pasting every
> line)
> - I used internet instructions to make a dmg from the mythfrontend.app
> - I copied the dmg to my main machine with retina display (without retina
> do no scale)
> - Because osx wants to create aliases I opened the dmg with finder
> - I copied the app (sudp cp -a /Volumes/YourFolder/mythfrontend.app
> /Applications)(YourFolder is from how to make a dmg)
> - i opened->get info mythfrontend. and checked [open in low resolutiom]
>
> mythfrontend plays perfectly but is slow to open looking for DBUS
>
> - I installed macports dbus on the laptop. DBUS is still not found. I'll
> investigate
>
> James
>
> John's high sierra version did not scale (stayed 1/4 size) with [open in
> low resolution] (but it did/does work properly on my high sierra machine
> without retina display
>
> James

James,

I build the app not a dmg because you need to fiddle with the libraries and
the app to get it working.  The forum post has the updated instructions on
how to make a dmg

# Package up the build cd $APP_DIR
VOL_NAME=MythFrontend-$VERS-intel-$OS_VERS-v$VERS-$GIT_VERS
hdiutil create $APP_DIR/$VOL_NAME.dmg -fs HFS+ -srcfolder
$APP_DIR/Mythfrontend.app -volname $VOL_NAME

The instructions are here:

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3800

As for dbus, a slow start is better than no start :)

In regards to the copy.  Please pay attention to the details on these
things.  I told you in a previous post to use the finder to copy the app
into place from the dmg (i.e. drag and drop the file or select copy select
destination folder and paste). In your post you state you're using the
command prompt..  This won't work and will leave pieces behind.  I am not
guaranteeing that your 1/4 screen issues will go away, you may have a
unique hardware setup., but it is worth a try just in case.  I asked in a
information to the trac ticket I started.

The community and I can't do much more to help you if you won't follow
precise instructions and provide some data back.  I know this is
frustrating buy we can at least get to a point where we can write an
educated ticket for the devs to look into...

~John