[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Sat May 16 18:31:34 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen!
>

> I would not declare success with just the arrow keys working, but it
> is definitely a good start.  It is probably better not to tweak Edit
> Keys but rather to edit the $HOME/.lirc/mythtv file.  That way you can
> just copy that file to the other MythTV boxes.  When you use Edit
> Keys, you are also changing what the keyboard keystrokes are. Altering
> the $HOME/.lirc/mythtv file only affects the remotes.
>
> Follow-up to this – a bit of editing to the /.lirc/mythtv file and got the
> basic functions to work; had to make a few concessions as don’t have 101
> keys to play with like on a keyboard, plus preferring to use the semi-basic
> remote that came with the TV just so nothing extra on the counter. (Could
> use a programmable remote.…)
>
> At this point have the Seiki TV’s remote able to control play/pause,
> delete, bookmark, closed captioning, information as desired; the Fast
> Forward and Rewind functions – acceptable. Probably assign another key
> other than the arrow keys as they work properly for everything else (menu
> selection, etc.).

I usually map the ARROW KEYS, ENTER, ESC, MENU, PAUSE PLAY, COMMERCIAL
JUMP, PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN. That usually gives me a vast majority of features.

If that fails, i have full keyboard/mouse remote that works well but have a
shorter range. One side is a air-mouse feature and arrows, flip it over and
it has a full qwerty keyboard. You can pickup one of these for extremely
cheap!

Been relying on the TV remote more recently since it has been working well.

Only thing I haven’t figured out is how to get MythFrontend started from
> the remote (!). Maybe load-at-boot. (Hint?!)

I opted for auto-load on restart, there is section in
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Autostart_mythfrontend_on_login

Although due to performance issues, i am now just directly starting
mythfrontend from the ~/.xsession file

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Running_without_a_desktop_environment_or_window_manager

Barry