[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:47:31 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:30 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 12, 2020, at 5:38 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 5/12/20 4:45 PM, Erik Merkle wrote:
>
> If you disable DPMS in your Desktop environment, and disable xscreensaver
> and find that DPMS and/or screensaver is still kicking in, you can try
> running "xset q" to query things. For example, my system sometimes shows
> this:
>
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
>   timeout:  1800    cycle:  900
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> To turn things off, I can run "xset s off -dpms":
>
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
>   timeout:  0    cycle:  900
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
>   DPMS is Disabled
>
> The "s off" option turns off the screensaver (timeout: 1800 to timeout: 0)
> and the "-dpms" option disables DPMS. On some of my systems, I put that
> command in my user's $HOME/.xprofile and it essentially disables them at
> login. I have done this with Xfce as well as LXDE.
>
> Hope that helps (YMMV),
> Erik
>
> Great tips.  The xset q showed that screensaver was off; 'standby' and
> 'off' where 0 (never), but DPMS was enabled. So I set it off with the
> settings app. So xset q now shows DPMS disabled.
>
> It seems to be working at this point, but I need to switch from the PC to
> another device for an hour or so and see if it comes back correctly. I've
> left the PC at the Mythtv top menu.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim A
>

> This morning I powered up the TV and AVR. It was not on the PC input. But
> when I switched it to the PC input it was blank until I clicked the mouse.
> At that point it was back at the Mythtv Frontend main menu.
>
> So for me this is as good as fixed.  No login required, no script to
> execute, just a mouse click.
>
> Jim A

I did discover that some of the required settings do not make sense. If my
system is not running mythfrontend then I can leave the power management in
Presentation mode which turns off DPMS. However, in Mythfrontend, this will
not work and I can't get mythtv to come out of blank mode. I have to do
Ctl-Alt-F1 and login to CLI and reboot.

What I have found works in all cases is Screensaver installed and disabled,
and DPMS enabled with all the timers set to Never.

Jim A