[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:38:07 UTC 2020

On 5/12/20 4:45 PM, Erik Merkle wrote:
> If you disable DPMS in your Desktop environment, and disable
> xscreensaver and find that DPMS and/or screensaver is still kicking
> in, you can try running "xset q" to query things. For example, my
> system sometimes shows this:
>
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
>   timeout:  1800    cycle:  900
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> To turn things off, I can run "xset s off -dpms":
>
> Screen Saver:
>   prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
>   timeout:  0    cycle:  900
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 2700    Suspend: 0    Off: 3600
>   DPMS is Disabled
>
> The "s off" option turns off the screensaver (timeout: 1800 to
> timeout: 0) and the "-dpms" option disables DPMS. On some of my
> systems, I put that command in my user's $HOME/.xprofile and it
> essentially disables them at login. I have done this with Xfce as well
> as LXDE.
>
> Hope that helps (YMMV),
> Erik

Great tips.  The xset q showed that screensaver was off; 'standby' and
'off' where 0 (never), but DPMS was enabled. So I set it off with the
settings app. So xset q now shows DPMS disabled.

It seems to be working at this point, but I need to switch from the PC
to another device for an hour or so and see if it comes back correctly.
I've left the PC at the Mythtv top menu.

Thanks,

Jim A