[mythtv-users] Nvida card choice for mythtv and gaming

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:44:21 UTC 2020

On 5/12/20 2:19 PM, BP wrote:
> On 5/11/20 4:00 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> Now that I have the GT 1030 working in Xubuntu 20.04 with the
>> Nvidia-440 driver, most things like Mythtv are working great.
>>
>> However, I can't seem to keep the display at 1920x1080 at 60hz. It wants
>> to switch back to 4K which is the EDID or automatic choice by default.
>>
>> So on boot it uses the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that the Nvidia X
>> server setting program created to force it to 1080p. But if I switch
>> the AV Receiver away for some period of time from the computer port
>> to DVD player or anything else and then switch back to the computer
>> it comes back as 4K like it forgot how it booted. If I switch away
>> for a short time like 3-5 minutes it comes back in 1080p as I want.
>>
>> I'm thinking Ubuntu is getting an event triggered by the switching
>> back to computer port of the AVR and using auto settings for the
>> display. If I run Nvidia X server app at this point the configuration
>> settings are in auto instead of 1920x1080 at 60. I can either change it
>> again or reboot.
>>
>> Or, the display power management mode is getting in the way.  I had
>> it in Presentation mode and Display power management off. I'm running
>> a test now where Presentation mode is off, but I turned on the
>> Display power management but set the timer settings to 'never'. I see
>> if that works?
>>
>> Anyone know what's happening?
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Your Window Manager/Desktop of choice is controlling the desktop
> resolution and ignoring the xorg settings. The Display settings in
> many Window Managers does not change your xorg settings, it over-rides
> it when you login.
>
> I had been running Xfce for years on my frontend before buying a 4k
> tv. While Xfce will honor your existing setting on initial boot, it
> will automatically switch based on edid when a monitor is plugged in
> (such as changing the input on an AVR).  The only way I could find to
> prevent that in Xfce was by patching and compiling. Not something I
> wanted to maintain.
>
> Other Window Managers behave the same way, but thankfully, some of
> them allow you to define what you actually want when a new monitor is
> plugged in.  I switched to Mate and it allows me to hard define what I
> want it set to and doesn't automatically choose when getting the new
> display attached signal.

Interesting.  I had nothing but trouble with the Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04
default desktop and xorg.conf fighting each other. So I went back to
Xubuntu 20.04.  I used the settings that you can get to with the
Presentation mode button on the top right panel.

I'll play with that a while, but have used Mate before in test. Can I
just install Mate desktop over or along side XFCE4 so I can choose at login?

And where do I find the Mate settings your were talking about??

Jim A