[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 4 FrontEnd Remote Control Issues

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 11 18:30:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, 11 May 2020 10:45:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen!
>
>> You can adjust which KEY_ value is created by each key by editing your
>> seiko file.
>
>Right now I’m going to leave the unassigned keys (Auto, V.Chip, etc.)
>alone, concentrating on the main-use keys (0-9, Up, Down, and the like).
>BTW, it’s Seiki, not Seiko.
>

>The Seiki configuration file - - the one I found at
>https://gist.github.com/gisikw/a2ffa7f45efa0d9c3bee – is at
>/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/Seiki_LIRC.conf . Good news is it is found/listed
>by *systemctl status lircd.socket lircd.service*.

Good, that is the right place for it.

>> To see what happens to the raw keystrokes, you need to shut down lirc:
>>
>> sudo systemctl stop lircd
>>
>> and then run ir-keytable:
>>
>> sudo ir-keytable -t
>
>Well that seems to indicate a problem: ‘command not found’!
>

>OK: /sudo apt install ir-keytable/ solves that problem!

Yes, ir-keytable is no longer installed by default.  The code that
runs the remotes is in the kernel now, and ir-keytable just talks to
that code and sends it commands.  So it is not needed for a working
remote, just if you need to change things to get it working.

>> sudo ir-keytable -t
>>
>> Then try pressing some keys that work, and then the ones that do not.
>

>And no output. Reboot.
>
>sudo systemctl stop lircd
>sudo ir-keytable -t
>

>Still no output. /irw/does give an output.

What is the output of:

sudo ir-keytable

(without the -t).  It should list your IR receiver(s).

I do not know how your remote works, just that it clearly does.  IR
remotes need IR receiver hardware, which can be included in or with
tuners or as a separate device.  The actual receiver is typically an
IR photo-diode, and in less naked devices than an RPi it is usually
hidden behind a small hole or transparent plastic window.  So when you
are using your remote, what are you pointing it at?  Does the RPi4
have a builtin IR receiver, or have you added one?

>> If there is output, hopefully it will give you the right value to
>> put into your seiko file.  If not, take a look at your syslog file and
>> see if there are any messages created there about keycode errors.
>
>cat /var/log/syslog
>
>cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i error ==> just three from lightdm
>
>cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i fail ==> ummmm
 systemd’s
>bthelper at hcio.service <mailto:bthelper at hcio.service> ==> bluetooth –
>nevermind!
>
>cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i lircd ==> messages re: “caught signal”
>

>Otherwise nothing at all about keycode errors:

The best way to find any keycode error messages (if there are any) is
to use the non-working buttons and then immediately look in syslog and
kern.log for the latest messages there that happened at the time you
were using the buttons.

I think it would also be a good idea to know just what version of lirc
is installed on your RPi4.  So what does this command say:

sudo lircd -v