[mythtv-users] licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:07:55 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2020 11:40:02 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >

> >> As installed on a new 20.04 system, the lirc package does not install
> >> an /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file.  This makes lircd crash when it
> >> is started as part of the package install.  The workaround is to copy
> >> the package's /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.dist file to
> >> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf after the install fails, and then remove
> >> and reinstall the lirc package.  Then the install should complete
> >> without crashing.  There is a fix in testing for this, which should
> >> come through as an updated package soon.  However, there may be other
> >> problems with the lirc package - the 18.04 lirc package was also
> >> missing a lib file for lirc-setup so it could not be run, and there
> >> were some other problems.  Unless those have been fixed in the
> >> interim, they could still be there.  I would recommend doing these
> >> commands to make sure the other (unconfigured) services that are
> >> installed by the lirc package are shut down and disabled:
> >>
> >> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> >> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> >> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> >> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> >> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> >> sudo systemctl disable irexec
> >>
> >> If you need a working config for an MCE remote, that is what I use on
> >> 18.04 and the config in 20.04 does not seem to have changed, so I
> >> could put mine on my web server for you.  In 18.04, lircd itself was
> >> fully functional as installed by the package, and if that is also the
> >> same in 20.04, manually installing a config should make it work.
> >>
> >> The fix script I did for 18.04 is not likely to work for 20.04,
> >> unfortunately, as it downloads the lirc source package and compiles
> >> it.  If you wanted to try it, you would have to change all the
> >> references to 18.04 to 20.04, and then it might work.  I have only got
> >> 20.04 on a virtual machine at the moment, so it does not have any way
> >> to run an IR remote for me to test with.  I am intending to update my
> >> script as soon as I upgrade my laptop to 20.04, but that will not
> >> happen until 20.04.1 is available (June?) so that I can do an LTS to
> >> LTS upgrade.
> >>

> >First, thanks for the help.  This system I'm playing with is a development
> >system that I'm using to learn how stable 20.04 is at this point.  It has
> >lot of issues that need to be fixed.  So I'm not concerned if I have to
> >blow everything away and reinstall.
> >
> >At this point I modified your 18.04 script to use lirc 10.1 instead of
> >10.0. So the script is doing something.
> >
> >I just did your sequence of systemctl commands and moved my IR receiver to
> >another port and now it's visible with lsusb.
> >
> >So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
> >Right now only the  direction arrows are working.  No "select/enter" and
> no
> >stop or pause or play.

> [...]

Since I am having other issues with 20.04 like it crashing and sending a
dump to  Ubuntu every boot, I thought I'd blow it all away and go back to
18.04.
So my question now is do I just download your lirc build script and run
it?  Then what files to I need to include for MCE USB model 1039 to work
properly??

Jim A