[mythtv-users] Experience with upgrade of Xubuntu 18.04 to 20.04

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:40:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:18 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> You would have had to force the upgrade, which is not recommended. The
> upgrade path from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS will only be available when
> 20.04.1 is out (June?).  There are a lot of web sites out there that
> blithely tell you if the do-release-upgrade command does not work,
> just add the -d option to make it work.  They completely fail to
> explain that the upgrade is not working because it is not supposed to
> be working yet.  Adding -d allows you to upgrade on the basis that
> 20.04 is a development version for upgrading 18.04 LTS, not a release
> version.  So anyone doing that should be prepared for problems.  That
> said, I have not heard of any show stopper problems from anyone who
> has forced the upgrade, unlike what happened with 16.04 LTS to 18.04
> LTS before the .1 update was out.

Indeed, I forced the upgrade and only share in case anyone else likes to
live on the edge.

An alternative workaround to specifying the i965 driver is to add the
following to the device section of xorg.conf:

Option "DRI" "3"

The problem appears to be a known issue with intel UHD500 / latest Mesa and
intel driver (
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/-/issues/193).

Hopefully will be fixed soon.