[mythtv-users] licrd not working in Xubuntu 20.04

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:40:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> As installed on a new 20.04 system, the lirc package does not install
> an /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf file.  This makes lircd crash when it
> is started as part of the package install.  The workaround is to copy
> the package's /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf.dist file to
> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf after the install fails, and then remove
> and reinstall the lirc package.  Then the install should complete
> without crashing.  There is a fix in testing for this, which should
> come through as an updated package soon.  However, there may be other
> problems with the lirc package - the 18.04 lirc package was also
> missing a lib file for lirc-setup so it could not be run, and there
> were some other problems.  Unless those have been fixed in the
> interim, they could still be there.  I would recommend doing these
> commands to make sure the other (unconfigured) services that are
> installed by the lirc package are shut down and disabled:
>
> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>
> If you need a working config for an MCE remote, that is what I use on
> 18.04 and the config in 20.04 does not seem to have changed, so I
> could put mine on my web server for you.  In 18.04, lircd itself was
> fully functional as installed by the package, and if that is also the
> same in 20.04, manually installing a config should make it work.
>
> The fix script I did for 18.04 is not likely to work for 20.04,
> unfortunately, as it downloads the lirc source package and compiles
> it.  If you wanted to try it, you would have to change all the
> references to 18.04 to 20.04, and then it might work.  I have only got
> 20.04 on a virtual machine at the moment, so it does not have any way
> to run an IR remote for me to test with.  I am intending to update my
> script as soon as I upgrade my laptop to 20.04, but that will not
> happen until 20.04.1 is available (June?) so that I can do an LTS to
> LTS upgrade.

First, thanks for the help.  This system I'm playing with is a development
system that I'm using to learn how stable 20.04 is at this point.  It has a
lot of issues that need to be fixed.  So I'm not concerned if I have to
blow everything away and reinstall.

At this point I modified your 18.04 script to use lirc 10.1 instead of
10.0. So the script is doing something.

I just did your sequence of systemctl commands and moved my IR receiver to
another port and now it's visible with lsusb.

So I have mythfrontend using the MCE remote, but I'm missing functions.
Right now only the  direction arrows are working.  No "select/enter" and no
stop or pause or play.

It maybe all I need is a configuration file for my model 1039 MCE remote???

Jim A