[mythtv-users] Can't connect to database

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun May 3 18:54:12 UTC 2020

On 5/3/20 1:32 PM, Damian wrote:

>> If
>> it is the +++ one, then the bindaddress=127.0.0.1 line has been
>> uncommented, so it could be overriding your real bindaddress line in
>> another settings file.
> I had my fingers crossed that the solution would be that simple. So, I added # before the line, logged out and logged back in again.
>
> I was still taken to the same waiting for database screen.
>
> (I've taken the # back out of the bind-address. Let me know if it should definitely be there).

Changes should never be made in /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf because they
can be overridden by a package maintainer.

Rather, create a file such as: /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mythtv.cnf

In this specific case, to change the bind-address, add:

[mysqld]
bind-address=::

:: allows any IPv4 or IPv6 address to connect. You don't have to use that.

You must restart mysqld after making changes to its .cnf files (not just re-login).

You should verify that mysqld is running. With systemd, use: systemctl status mysqld

To verify access to the port: nmap -p 3306 --reason 192.168.0.4

Use the credentials in config.xml to test MythTV access to MySQL, e.g.

   mysql --user=mythtv --host=192.168.0.4 --password=hidden mythconverg

If that doesn't work, then MythTV programs won't.

--
Bill