[mythtv-users] Debugging mythexternrecorder - any guidance?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun May 3 13:50:08 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 11:46 PM OpenMedia Support <support at openmedia.co.nz>
wrote:

> I'm still having issues with some local IPTV feeds with the FreeBox tuner
> so I want to try youtube-dl or vlc with mythexternrecorder.
>
> Any tips on how to debug the external recorder as my channel scan is
> failing for both VLC and youtube-dl configurations
>
> vlc-nz.conf
>
> [RECORDER]
> # The recorder command to execute.  %URL% is optional, and
> # will be replaced with the channel's "URL" as defined in the
> # [TUNER/channels] (channel conf) configuration file
> #
> # %LOGGING% will be replaced with mythtv logging params. For example:
> # --verbose general,channel,record --logpath /var/log/mythtv --loglevel
> info --quiet

Do you really have this "info --quiet" by itself on a line, or is that just
a cut and paste error?  If it is really there in your conf file, that might
cause it to not load properly.

When you are scanning, the "Scan Type" is "Import from ExtneralRecorder"?

If you run mythtv-setup like:

mythtv-setup -v chanscan:debug,channel:debug --logpath .

You will end up with a log file in the current directory, with good
information in it.

What version of MythTV are you running?  The "fixes/31" version has some
nice ExternalRecorder improvements in it, such as LiveTV channel changes
now work.

John