[mythtv-users] IPTV Encoders

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Fri May 1 21:34:20 UTC 2020

On 5/1/20 3:15 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 5:42 PM mythtv <mythtv at mdabbs.org
> <mailto:mythtv at mdabbs.org>> wrote:
>
>     https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPTV_Encoders_as_a_Capture_Device
>
>     I was wondering if this page is up to date? I'm switching providers and
>     may end up losing my component outputs. I have 2 HD-PVRs that have been
>     great over the years, but it would be nice if I could switch to digital.
>     Also, I noticed the device only supports stereo. Is that still accurate,
>     or is digital pass-through available anywhere?
>
>     Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me directly.
>

> Personally, if I want to use an IP encoder, I use mythexternrecorder (
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ExternalRecorder#Using_the_.22Generic.22_External_Recorder
> ).  Then just set up the config file to use a command like `curl
> --silent http://your-ip-encoder/path` as the command to process the
> transport stream.
>
> If you wanted to migrate to the HD-PVR2 or Colossus2, you would need to
> use an ExternalRecorder for that as well (
> https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB ). Those do support AC3 5.1, but
> not dynamically -- you must tell it to expect PCM (e.g. AAC) or AC3 for
> the audio and if the stream changes, you will get bad results.  The IP
> based encoders are the most seamless solution, but only support
> 2-channel (e.g. AAC) audio.
>
> John

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of the HD-PVR2. For those with
experience, how often does the audio stream change? I could maybe see
commercials or something changing it? Is it something that could be
scripted on a per-channel basis, so for HBO or something with no
commercials, I could set it one way, and for other channels another way?

Also, I saw the forum thread about HD-PVR2 maybe not being rock solid
for live-tv. Is that still an issue?