[mythtv-users] Mythtv database requirements??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:42:49 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:29 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:21:17 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >So I know mythtv uses MySQL which has supposedly transitioned to mariadb
> >over time, but it's basically the same mysql commands. I think???
> >
> >So to compare what I have on 2 systems I found some puzzling results, at
> >least to me.
> >
> >_System 1_ is Xubuntu 18.04.4 installed recently and mythtv v31
> >installed today.
> >
> >It has mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7, mysql-server-5.7,
> >mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
> >
> >if has no packages by the name mariadb, or maria installed.
> >
> >_System 2_ is an Ubuntu 18.04 Server which started on mythtv 29, moved
> >to 30, and not 31.
> >
> >It does NOT have mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7,
> >mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
> >
> >It has mysql-common installed.
> >
> >It has mariadb-client-10.0, mariadb-client-core-10.0,
> >mariadb-server-10.0, mariadb-server-core-10.0, and mariadb-common
> installed.
> >
> >Not sure why I see the difference and wonder if this is the reason some
> >of the database scripts that run during mythtv updates fail for syntax
> >reasons??
> >
> >Jim A
>
> Unless something has changed recently, Ubuntu installs MySQL by
> default, so when you install MythTV, it sees MySQL present and is
> happy.  If you install MythTV on a Ubuntu system with neither MySQL
> nor MariaDB installed, the MythTV packages specify MySQL first, so
> MySQL gets installed.  So the only way you get MythTV running with
> MariaDB on Ubuntu is if you have manually chosen to either install
> MariaDB before you installed MythTV (recommended), or have later
> installed MariaDB which will automatically uninstall MySQL.  If you do
> the latter, you normally get a message that the database versions are
> out of step and MariaDB is unable to convert the mythconverg database.
> So you have to reinstall MySQL, do a backup of mythconverg, install
> MariaDB again, create a new mythconverg database and set up its access
> credentials, then restore your backed up copy of mythconverg.  A very
> tedious process I have done more than once, hence why I recommend
> installing MariaDB before installing MythTV if at all possible.
>
> When MariaDB is installed, mysql-common remains installed as there are
> other packages that require it.  It only really creates a three config
> files under /etc/mysql plus documentation files and /usr/share/lintian
> files, so it is not a worry.
>
> My first thought is to wait for Bill to come up with a solution for
updating a system with the mariadb version that Ubuntu 18.04 uses. I plan
on staying on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS until 2023 unless the Covid-19 kills me
first.

BTW, I can't remember how mariadb got installed because none of my install
instructions have that written down.

However, I'm a guy who likes to stay on standard software so I don't get
caught by normal assumptions.  All my mythtv databases, backups and
recordings, etc are on a set of 2 RAID mirrors, i.e. 4 drives. I've read
that If you create a new Xubuntu 18.04 install and it will see the 2 RAID
mirrors and know how to use them. I'd just have to add the mounts in
/etc/fstab.  Then I could restore the backed up mythconverg and go from
there.

Obviously, I have both RAIDs backed up to external e-SATA drive so if the
shit hits the fan I can rebuild.  I even have a clonezilla image of my boot
drive /dev/sda.

Thoughts on doing this to get back to standard??
Jim A