[mythtv-users] Mythtv database requirements??

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:40:47 UTC 2020

On 3/29/20 6:21 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> So I know mythtv uses MySQL which has supposedly transitioned to mariadb over time, but it's basically the same mysql commands. I think???

In this case, it's not the command, but the options to it.

As you tested, CREATE USER IF NOT EXISTS $mythtv_username@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '$mythtv_password';
fails. MariaDB 10.0 doesn't support the IF NOT EXISTS option.

The attempt to care for the changes in MySQL *v8* was to change to commands/options that
v5.7 and MariaDB would accept.

It appears that checking for the SQL version and using a unique set of commands
(or simply the old method) is going to be the answer.

> So to compare what I have on 2 systems I found some puzzling results, at least to me.
>
> _System 1_ is Xubuntu 18.04.4 installed recently and mythtv v31 installed today.
>
> It has mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7, mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
>
> if has no packages by the name mariadb, or maria installed.
>
> _System 2_ is an Ubuntu 18.04 Server which started on mythtv 29, moved to 30, and not 31.
>
> It does NOT have mysql-client-5.7, mysql-client-core-5.7, mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-core-5.7 installed.
>
> It has mysql-common installed.
>
> It has mariadb-client-10.0, mariadb-client-core-10.0, mariadb-server-10.0, mariadb-server-core-10.0, and mariadb-common installed.
>
> Not sure why I see the difference and wonder if this is the reason some of the database scripts that run during mythtv updates fail for syntax
> reasons??
>
> Jim A

Right, another solution would be to require MariaDB 10.3 as a minimum. I'm *not* suggesting that
(although I have looked into it.)

--
Bill