[mythtv-users] Update troubles

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 27 17:33:35 UTC 2020

I am on 30-fixes, using the deb-multimedia packages on plain Debian Buster.

Today I had to do some channel work and, as is my usual custom, did an apt update - apt apgrade
cycle once I had logged in.

Imagine my surprise when I had database errors not unlike those recently reported here! After a bit
of poking around, I discovered that the upgrade had *overwritten* the /etc/config.xml file.

It was this that had caused the problems, as it had guessed the wrong local identifier, got the
database host wrong and generated a new, random database password!

Once I had recovered all this information, I could then access the database and everything seemed to
function perfectly... until I wanted to start up the backend after doing my channel adjustments.

Nothing. Zilch, nada. "systemctrl start mythtv-backend" just returned and the journal didn't even
indicate that it had done a single thing. I started it by hand (using the mythtv user) and I was
able to confirm that it was doing everything it should do.

If in doubt, reboot, and that was what I tried next. Fortunately, on logging in again everything had
restared automatically as it should. Phew!

So, maybe there is something odd about the backend package on deb-multimedia. Just be warned. Back
up your config.xml before upgrading any mythtv package, however minor it may seem.

--

Mike Perkins