[mythtv-users] Trying to use webfrontend to view recorded shows from another network SOLVED

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 27 02:30:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:57:24 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 17:06:52 +1300
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 21:29:45 -0500, you wrote:

>> >Since my situation is slightly different from others (normal would be to
>> >connect to mythtv on the primary computer, I have decided to take a
>> >different approach.
>> >
>> >I have tested the following from a remote location:
>> >
>> >A = remote computer
>> >B = computer connected to internet at home, also has iptables setup.
>> >C = Computer has mythtv and is connected to B.
>> >From B sshfs the directory (/tv) from C that contains all recorded shows and
>> >videos.
>> >
>> >Computer C has a directory (/tv/shows) that contains file names (syntax is
>> >title-subtitle.mp4. The recorded programs have had ffmpeg run to reduce the
>> >size of the files and change the extension from .ts to .mp4. (changing the
>> >extension was probably not necessary)
>> >
>> >From A use sshfs to mount the directory from B.
>> >
>> >I have written a dialog script (yad). When run it displays the directory
>> >listing from /tv/shows. I can then watch any programs/videos I want.
>> >
>> >The above avoids the problem with webfrontend not playing some selections
>> >correctly and most beneficially I do not need to change the iptables rules
>> >to allow the connection from remote location.
>> >
>> >Thanks for the input you provided,
>> >
>> >David
>>
>> One problem I can see is that sshfs is pretty slow.  You would be
>> better to be using SAMBA on your internal network connections
>> (unencrypted, so full network speed) and a faster encrypted connection
>> for the external connection.  I use OpenVPN for full access to my home
>> network from the outside, which is rather faster than sshfs when it is
>> hosted on a reasonably powerful PC (rather than a router).  Even
>> faster is Wireguard, but that has not yet been certified as being
>> cryptographically safe.  But it is much easier to set up than OpenVPN.
>
>I have used SAMBA some years ago and then switched to NFS. NFS caused some
>problems with connectivity (ie. when one computer rebooted). It was probably a
>mis-configuration on my part but could not resolve it. I switched to sshfs
>which I have not had a problem with.

Yes, I had exactly that sort of problem with NFS when I tried it.  My
problem with NFS was not just that the connection went down, but that
it failed to go down and anything that tried to access that mount
point would lock up, requiring a reboot to fix it as even kill -9
failed.

>I will switch back to SAMBA for local computers.
>
>I reading about OpenVPN, I found that setting it up is as you implied, but I
>also found sshuttle. My need it limited and it is effortless to use. Searching
>the internet I found nothing that said the software had any problems.
>
>Are you aware of this program and do you have any comments?

I had not heard of sshuttle, but a quick glance at its github page
shows that it is based on ssh, so like sshfs it will be slow compared
to real VPNs such as OpenVPN.

If you would like help with trying to set up OpenVPN, let me know off
list.  I can share my config files (minus my keys of course).