[mythtv-users] XMLTV and mythfilldatabase

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:11:45 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:59 PM Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> OK, I don't understand.
>
> mythtvsetup on backend:
>
> I deleted the VideoSource. Created a new one.
>
> I go into Input connections, set each to that new source, and click
> fetch listings from lisitings source.
>
> Says it may take a long time. how much time.  I never see any changes in
> that screen after I click that.
>

> On 3/26/20 1:36 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > Did you follow the process in the wiki?
> > (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Converting_from_DataDirect_to_XMLTV)
> > You need to either manually update the xmltvids in each channel or
> > delete the channels and add them back with mythfilldatabase.
> >

> > On 3/26/20 2:12 PM, Jack McGee wrote:
> >> I tried to convert to xmltv a week or two ago.  This is US,
> >> SchedulesDirect, all ATSC with HDHomerun. Mythv .29
> >>

> >> Mythfilldatabase is having problems.
> >>

> Let me give you the steps I follow:

Switch to user 'mythtv' by: sudo su mythtv

Follow the help on the mythtv xmltv wiki page at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite

Run the commands:
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Enter login info for Schedules Direct
Enter 4 to initialize the database
Take the defaults and exit.
Run the command:
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Answer yes to the lineup you want to use and no to the others, then take
the defaults and exit
Run the commands:
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --days 0 --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Accept the default for my lineup and select option 5, 1, then 5.
Now go through and pick yes or no on the channels you want data on.
You may have to do the option 5 again if you missed a channel or selected
wrong,
exit
Switch back to user '<user>' by :exit
Stop Mythtv backend by: sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
Run the mythtv-setup from the Applications Menu
In General -> Job Queue (Backend-Specific) -> I deselected Allow commercial
Jobs and Allow transcoding jobs. (not needed for me)
In General -> Program Schedule Downloading Options -> Automatically update
program listings -> Guide Data Program execution start/end I set them to 2
and 5
In General -> Program Schedule Downloading Options -> Automatically update
program listings -> Run guide data program at time suggested by the grabber
I deselected.
On Capture cards deselect the "Use HD HomeRun for Active EIT scan" in
Recording Options for any tuner you had it enabled on.
In Video Sources Delete all video sources. Then add a New video source.
In the Video Source make the Video source name match what was done in XMLTV
setup which is "SD"
Select Listing grabber to be Multinational (Schedules Direct JSON web
services with SQLite...
Save and exit.
In Input Connections go through each and select Video Source "SD" and only
do the scan in the first Input Connection.
In Channel Editor you may need to revisit any changes done before as the
rescan will have undone them.
Exit
Restart mythtv-backend with: sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend
Switch back to user 'mythtv' and run "mythfilldatabase"
Once mythfilldatabase completes, exit back to user '<user>'

These work for me everytime.  I have a better formated version on a blog
for doing this on a Rpi4.  Skip to the part for XMLTV.
https://mythtv-rp4.blogspot.com/2019/12/installing-mythtv-on-raspberry-pi-4.html

Jim A