[mythtv-users] issue playing mp3 using Internal player

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:55:38 UTC 2020

On 26/03/2020 02:25, James Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2020, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> I can remember trying all sorts of settings to try to get a playable
>> file.  Then I decided to try and make a file that was similar to the
>> DVB-T broadcasts, and eventually got the above settings.  In case the
>> format of the .jpg file matters, I have put a copy of my
>> audio_only.jpg file on my web server:
>>
>> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/audio_only.jpg
>
> Thanks for making that available. Here's the two-step process that
> finally resulted in a file playable under MythTV here. I first created a
> 50-minute long video file (my podcast is always slightly less than 50
> minutes), sans sound, from my desired graphic with
>
> ffmpeg -loop 1 -i my-image.jpg -c:v libx264 -t 3000 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf
> scale=320:240 out.mp4
>
> (shamelessly cribbed from
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25891342/creating-a-video-from-a-single-image-for-a-specific-duration-in-ffmpeg).
> Resulting mp4 weighs in at 6MB.
>
> Then I used the following command to join my downloaded mp3 audio to
> that soundless video (does this qualify as muxing?):
>
> ffmpeg -i out.mp4 -i my-audio.mp3 -codec copy -shortest output.mp4
>
> (likewise cribbed from
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11779490/how-to-add-a-new-audio-not-mixing-into-a-video-using-ffmpeg)
>

> output.mp4 weighs in at 23MB, which is actually a little less than the
> size of the mp3 and the mp4-made-of-jpg added together.
>
> Perhaps not the optimal way to do this. But it does give me the desired
> result. And, despite the process being a bit convoluted, once the video
> file is created from the image it is easy to automate the rest as a cron
> job.
>
> Further input on this task, anyone?

Thanks for raising this.  I have occasionally used MythMusic; the noise
it makes is fine but I have always found myself fighting its
preoccupation with metadata.  My 'mp3s' are mostly from DVB-T radio,
where a 6 hour recording of almost 3 GiB shrinks to 493 MiB. A simpler
'video' track might be a useful option. Or ISTR some unexplored options
in the recording setup...

John P