[mythtv-users] hash

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 13:12:45 UTC 2020

On 3/15/20 1:21 AM, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
> Hi
>
> we have a feature that I think is silly, over the years has on many occasions caused me great grief. Not to list identical hash files more than once. (scan fails to find a file)
>
> The chance of two unrelated files having the same hash is a million to one. Terry Pratchtte wrote
> 'the chance of a million-to-one event happening is 9-in-10'
>
>   After yet another hour long session I decided to remove that 'feature;. Alas it is not so simple.
>
> Someone put
>
>          // I deleted the incorrect SQL select that was supposed to get
>          // host name from ip address. Since it cannot work and has
>          // been there 6 years I assume it is not important.
>
> in the code right where the hash is gathered.
> If they (or anybody else) can say a line or two I'd appreciate it lots. I want to totally disable the hash mechanism.
>
> Please no kind words saying 'you really don't want to do that'
>
> Thanks
> James

I believe the hash feature is useful in that if you rename a file and
rescan, it picks up the new name and retains the metadata information
from the old name.

That comment you refer to looks like I put it there when I changed the
way the backend IP addresses are stored in the database. I don't know
what that has to do with the hash.

I do not know anything about how the hash is calculated and used so I
can't help there.

Peter