[mythtv-users] Repack woes - 2nd source not finding new channels...but HDHomerun does

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 04:38:34 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> North American channel repack. MythTV 29-fixes.
>
> Two stations changed frequency today. I have two HDHomeruns, each
> connected to its own antenna (long story).
>
> I ran mythtv-setup. Went into Input Connections and set the scan range for
> the first station. 31-31. It found the channel and its subchannels.
>
> Rinse and repeat with channel 34. Found the channels. I exited and went to
> run the scan on the second input. Channel 31...no new channels found,
> though it shows the signal strength is good, it also says no lock. Same for
> channel 34.
>
> So now I only have the channels on one input connection instead of the
> previous two. Running an HDHomerun utility, I see that, in CB parlance,
> both channels are "wall to wall and treetop tall" on both HDHomeruns. So
> why would MythTV only be finding them on one input?
>
> Should I run full range scans on both connections again?

Do your two antennas have different Schedules Direct lineups?  I have two
HDHR dual tuners and channel 2 (31) can record from any of the 8 virtual
tuners that gives me. I don't think the HDHRs know how many antennas but if
they are pointed in different directions perhaps they are actually not
picking up the stations. I am probably not being that helpful and it has
been a long time since I had multiple antennas pointed in different
directions so the memory is weak. At one time I had three antennas, one
north, one south, and one south east. It is no longer necessary as PBS
broadcasts the same programs on their two locations and NBC is now has a
transmitter both north and south of me.

So my advice is if you have antennas in different directions you reconsider
that in light of where people are transmitting from and if you have both
antennas pointed in the same direction then the HDHRs should not be able to
tell the difference.

One thing you might do is just delete everything and do a full scan. That
will probably leave you with one station you don't want but perhaps you
will get a prompt to discard the weaker one. Otherwise, just scan delete
the station and scan for the one you want. I didn't do it that way because
I don't want to get all the stations that I can, like the ones in languages
I do not speak.

Allen