[mythtv-users] Repack - Rescan question

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:21:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 06:34, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>>   Having the same issue, living in bay area with these rescans.  The main
>> problems I have (which maybe could be improved) are following:
>>
>> - When doing a full scan, mythtv does a simple rename of conflicting
>> channels to 1, 2, 3, ..  It would be better if they got renamed as 7_1A,
>> 7_2A, etc
>>

> The advantage would be that the duplicate channels will be next to each
> other in the channel editor and in the program guide, making it easier to
> spot duplicates.
>

>> - Some stations (2, 7) transmit on different frequencies from multiple
>> locations, and while I can tune both of those, one is much better than the
>> other in terms of signal strength, but in the channel editor, that
>> information lost.  So I have to go into mythtv, go through the stations,
>> check which of the 2 I have the better signal, and delete the weaker one
>> (in good weather, I might be able to tune to either just fine, but when
>> weather gets marginal, or wind is blowing antenna, I can get dropouts on
>> the weaker one.
>>
>>  The problem is noted. For the time being the approach of Alan, scanning
> only a limited range of frequencies instead of the full range, sounds like
> a good idea.
>
> Klaas.
>
> I just re-scanned the rest of repack 8 channels. It is super easy.
1) Mythweb TV-> TV-> Channel information and delete all channels that will
move
2) Mythbackend setup Channel Editor -> Rescan -> Set start and stop
frequencies. In this latest case I started at 32 and stopped at 33. I then
clicked yes to both questions.
3) Repeat for other channels
4) Run Mythfilldatabase when requested.

In my case I also used the opportunity to clean up some things on Schedules
Direct and my active channels but that is a different issue. In the SF Bay
Area there is a great resource https://larrykenney.com/sfonair2.html

Cheers.