[mythtv-users] Upgrade errors, (Was: Moved to Intel NUC - no sound & IR receiver needed)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 10 02:46:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 20:59:14 +0000, you wrote:

>Any suggestions for a compact IR receiver to work with the MCE remotes I already have ?
>Ideally it want to be an "all in the plug" type like some of the keyboard/mice receivers or Bluetooth devices - rather than a receiver on the end of cable cable. The NUC is a nice compact unit, with a front USB socket, so having the IR receiver in the front USB socket would keep it neat and tidy.
>I did find a nice looking HP one on eBay - but when they arrived (I ordered a couple), they turned out to be USB DVB tuners !

If the USB DVB-T tuners have the right IR receiver on board, why not
just use them?  I have some old PCTV nano stick DVB-T tuners that have
full IR receivers that do RC5 and RC6 IR protocols and work fine with
my MCE (RC6) and Hauppauge (RC5) remotes.  I also have a number of
other DVB-T tuners that do not work except with their own (very
limited) remotes.  So plug them in an see what they support.  Here is
the ir-keytable output for my real MCE IR receiver:

root at mypvr:~# ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(0609:031d)
        Driver: mceusb, table: rc-rc6-mce
        lirc device: /dev/lirc0
        Supported protocols: other lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec
sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
        Enabled protocols: lirc rc-6
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 0609:031d, version: 0x0000
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

and here is the output from the Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500 and PCTV
nano stick tuners on my mother's MythTV box:

root at crw-pvr:/var/log/mythtv# ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
        Driver dib0700, table rc-dib0700-rc5
        Supported protocols: rc-5 nec rc-6
        Enabled protocols: rc-5
        Name: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB re
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 2304:0237, version: 0x0100
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event10) with:
        Driver dib0700, table rc-dib0700-rc5
        Supported protocols: rc-5 nec rc-6
        Enabled protocols: rc-5
        Name: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB re
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 2040:8400, version: 0x0100
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

They all support both RC5 and RC6 protocols, with the real MCE
receiver supporting a lot of other protocols also.