[mythtv-users] Repack - Rescan question

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 06:39:43 UTC 2020

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 01:57, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am trying to plan for the upcoming repack. I would like to do this with
> a minimum of "learning" new ways to do things. My basic question is can I
> scan a narrow range of frequencies in order to add a new channel to an
> existing lineup without that deleting the existing channels?
>
> Here is the background.  Right now a local station KTVU transmits on the
> old station, 44 and the repack station 31. Both come in great. It also
> transmits on 26 which comes in poorly as it is hitting the back of my
> antenna. There is another station, KGO that is moving from 7 to 12 that
> also transmits on 35 into the back of my antenna. Both the San Francisco
> versions that I can get and the San Jose versions that hit the back have
> the same call signs although they might have different xmltvids. What I
> recall from past times is that if Myth scans low to high, I end up with the
> wrong KGO and if it scans high to low I get the wrong KTVU. I am not sure
> of which way it scans or even if it does reject duplicate call signs that
> have different xmltvids.
>
> Ideally I could just set the scan to go from 31 to 31 and it would just
> find the new KTVU and I could manually edit out channel 44 if it isn't
> overwritten.
>
> Another idea I had was to add attenuators until the back stations no
> longer came in at all and then scan but my hope is there is an easier way.
> The repack is 4 stations of which 2 have both SF and SJ versions. Not sure
> if that would work though.
>

> There is the option "Scan of single existing transport" as described in
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Channel_Scan but you have to
know the frequency to select the correct transport.
For ATSC only it is possible to select a from-to range of channels (this
are frequencies, not TV channels). This is described in section
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#ATSC_configuration

Hope this helps,
Klaas.