[mythtv-users] Fixes to leanfront

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:46:26 UTC 2020

On 3/5/20 2:59 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/4/20 5:32 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:56 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     > On Mar 4, 2020, at 4:02 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > On 3/4/20 3:52 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>     >> I never see the --(undetermined) anytime. I shows what was the
>>     end time at some point; maybe not the real end time.
>>     > This seems to indicate you may not be using v0-108. Please go
>>     into the shield setup, apps and view the version number of
>>     leanfront to make sure.
>>     >> My frontend is a Nivida Shield TV and my backend is an old
>>     Core i7 with Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD PCIe card. The recordings are
>>     all OTA ATSC USA HD programming.
>>     >>
>>     >> As to speedup, not sure what that is so I hope I'm not
>>     accidentally using it.
>>     >>
>>     > Little speedometer icons on the OSD. If they are not showing
>>     you have an old version.
>>     >> I can setup a test session on a FireTV 4K stick to see what
>>     happens as well.
>>     >>
>>     >> I can also use my V31 backend on my development system. It has
>>     a HDHR Connect Duo as a tuner.
>>     >> I'll let you know.
>>     >> Jim A
>>     >>
>>     >

>>     So I am using 108. The Shield Setup -> Apps -> Mythtv Leanback
>>     Frontend is version v0-108-gb439561.
>>
>>     I did another test.  I started the 4pm news as a recording using
>>     Mythweb on my v31 system with a HDHR tuner. I then went to the
>>     Shield around 10 after 4.  When I started viewing it would show
>>     current position time with 9:40 as the end time. I used the
>>     select button to check it a few more times prior to 9:40. While
>>     the timeline shows, I hit return to remove the timeline from the
>>     screen.
>>
>>     When the playing timeline reached 9:40 there was a quick pause
>>     and then the recording playback continued.  If I pressed select
>>     after this point I’d see the playing timeline with “—“ as the end
>>     time as you mentioned. I could also move forward to skip a
>>     commercial at which time the end time was updated to the current
>>     end time.
>>
>>     However, I watched the news without any buttons being press until
>>     it reached that new end time and the screen paused (froze) with
>>     the timeline showing. The time was a few seconds past the
>>     previous end time.  If I press right or left it will play again.
>>     If I hit select it exits back to the menu for that video.
>>
>>     I’ll try this is a few minutes with v30 on a Hauppauge WinTV Quad
>>     tuner.
>>
>>     Jim A
>>

>> I just tested this on a FireTV 4K stick with v0-108. It's more like
> [...]

I just finished testing v0-110 on both my FireTV Stick 4K and Shield TV
on a recording in progress. It performs the same on both. Both pause for
about a second as it passes the "end time" set when the viewing started
or fast forward or rewind was last pressed. It audio pause is longer for
my Shield TV because the audio is sent from the TV to AV Receiver bia
SPDIF optical cable. The audio always does that on any pausing on any
app on the Shield TV. FireTV stick 4K has the same audio pause as the video.

This works well for most practical uses of this feature in my mind. What
I do in testing is more extreme to try to break it.  A valid use case is
starting a recording of a morning new show before you get up and then
playing it 30-60 minutes into it. I would skip commercials in this case
but once you reach the real current time, then you just watch and no
more attempts to FF.

I tested this aspect on the Shield TV and found an issue. I started
watching at the beginning and saw the "End time" was 38 minutes into a
60 minute show. I used the down arrow to skip until 30 minutes and the
right arrow to skip 1 minute at a time until I hit the current real
time. I tried to skip past that but you'd see a few second skip and that
was it.

So I let it play and a few seconds later it paused and didn't continue.
I hit select and the OSD popped up and I could see the play time greater
than the end time, but no -- for the end time. I moved the cursor around
until it was on "play" and when I hit select it started at the very
beginning of the recording.

Let me know if you need anything else tested.

Jim A