[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Mythfrontend freezing and VDPAU?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:00:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:11 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 10:46 AM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> I cannot comment on why X misbehaves - over the years, especially with
>>> nVidia drivers and Xorg mesa version combos, it just happens.  It would be
>>> a good time to start using lirc and the irexec app.  It allows you to
>>> assign a script to kill anything you want to a remote control button.
>>>
>>> I have not used it in quite some time, so I do not have my config any
>>> longer, but I used it for this exact purpose a couple years back (and 8+
>>> years prior).  I am fairly certain I have posted the config to this list in
>>> the past though if you search the archives.  There should be a script to
>>> kill the frontend (and restart X if needed) and restart the frontend along
>>> with the lirc configuration.
>>>

>> I have a button on my remote
>>
>> begin
>>     remote = N2QAHB000012
>>     prog = irexec
>>     button = Play+
>>     config = echo "killall  mythfrontend.real"
>>     repeat = 0
>>     delay = 0
>> end
>>
>> I must admit I have not tried it.
>>
>> The reason I have not tried it is that I want to get a way to kill things
>> from my remote logon before I try and automate it. When my myth computer is
>> locked up and useless from the local terminal I can still log on using
>> PuTTY from my Windows desktop. I have tried many things to kill the locked
>> up system and nothing has worked except restarting the myth computer.
>>
>> I have searched the archive and it looks like all the scripts use some
>> version of kill to stop myth and that just doesn't work on my system.
>>
>> https://lists.gt.net/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_type=AND&search_forum=forum_1&search_string=script+to+kill+the+frontend
>>
>> As I have said, I programmed CTRL-ALT-BS to do the job and it works great
>> -- unless mythfrontend is locked up and then it doesn't work. It normally
>> restarts X but when the system is hung, it just kills the gui and locks up
>> there.
>>

> IIRC, I used systemd to switch targets.
>
> systemctl isolate multi-user.target (changes to no GUI)
> systemctl isolate graphical.target (changes to GUI)
>
> to change runlevels completely.  Of course, this assumes you have
> autologin enabled with mythfrontend autostart.  This worked for me every
> time.
>
> I do not run *buntu, but I assume systemd is the same and should work.

I tested that and it works although not a real test because the system is
not hung.  One small issue is that when everything restarts there is a
pop-up message on the myth screen saying that myth stopped unexpectedly and
do I want to send debug information somewhere.  I am sure that can be dealt
with.

Thanks so much for that. Without this list mythTV would be unusable. Thanks
thanks thanks.

I now have two solutions: 1) Run in High Quality and just put up with the
increase in CPU load. 2) Use vdpau and switch run levels to restart things
and if that works figure out how to automate it.

Questions on automating it. Can I just issue those two commands one after
the other or do I need to wait for the first one to finish doing its thing
before issuing the second? I am sure I can figure out how to kill the popup
but if anyone knows please chime in. :-)

Allen