[mythtv-users] Slave Backend Shutdown

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:00:02 UTC 2020

On 6/25/20 10:36 AM, DaveD wrote:

> Doesn't the RPI need power removed to get a full shutdown and, more
> importantly, have power re-applied to get it to start back up?  Does
> it have a sleep mode that can be pre-programmed to wake up in time for
> the next recording?  I can see the RPI used for a FE or always-on BE,
> but how do you get it to power up and down?
>
> If you watch the lights on a Pi during shutdown, the green light
> flashes 10 times, then stays on steady until the SD card has done its
> internal updates of the pending writes, then the green light goes out,
> indicating it's time to pull the plug. (this seems to have changed on
> the Pi4; no steady-on at the end)  Any plug-pulling before then and
> all bets are off on the integrity of the card.  Learned that the hard
> way...
>
> Dave D.

 From my reading and experience, the RPi has no power management so no
sleep or hibernate modes. If you do a shutdown it requires the power to
be removed before it will reset.  I use the Canakit PS which comes with
a push button switch to remove power.

IMHO, the RPi consumes  less power running than my X86_64 PC mythbackend
in suspend mode.  I've never had a mythbackend successfully suspend and
resume correctly more than a few times. So I just run mine 24/7 with a
UPS backend to ride me thru the glitches.  I leave my RPi4 mythbackend
on all the time as well.

Jim A