[mythtv-users] Where are we?

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:50:21 UTC 2020

Hi Will!

Since I’m kind of the one who re-started the discussion from one about a
year ago I’ll try to answer one slightly confused member to another.

AFAICT the e-mailed list and the one on the website are 99% the same. I
think over the years I’ve noted a post on the website not being included
in the mailed format. Yes, at one time I knew where the website was,
then lost the information. John provided (thanks!). Just looked on the
e-mail because I don’t recall seeing it listed. (Maybe the
/http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users// site should be added
to the e-mail saying it is the repository?)

As for postings, I’m using the Ubuntu version of Thunderbird so what I
see and do may not be accurate for other mail utilities. Clicking “Reply
List” will insert the /mythtv-users at mythtv.org/
<mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org> address, same as if replying on the
website. Do manually update the Subject field to match the thread. Best
to copy and paste.

Before hitting that Reply List button is you highlight what you want to
quoteback will then place it in the message body. For me works for short
replies; for long ones I copy to a writing utility (LibreOffice in my
case) and compose off-line. Might explain why the formatting of my posts
is a little strange: I use a proportional font here and the list is
monospaced.

So, IMO appears the mailing list is sufficient and doing its job. The
only drawback to the mailing list is the time delay: I usually receive
mine around 0700 CTZ. I was getting antsy to get get replies to help
solve my problem, plus upload what I found out, so went looking for the
website where they are; remembered there was one, just not how to get there.

Hope that helps!

Barry