[mythtv-users] It's been emotional - Leaving MythTV

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 11:19:05 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I've been in this group since 2007. Mainly asking for advice. Rarely
having much to give back, but I did when I could. :-)

Due to repeated tuning issues, and the improvement of online streaming
services, our TV use has changed over the years. Once upon a time, the
hard drives would stack up TV shows that we had recorded, to watch at a
later date. Flakey tuning broke us out of that habit and streaming
improvements have meant that we no longer even miss it. And I can't
remember the last time that we watched Live TV.

So, I've got rid of my tuners and signal booster. Uninstalled MythTV.
Gone with a Jellyfin backend for the media on my server and I'm using
Kodi as the main frontend on our projector setup.

Thanks for all of the support over the years! This group has
consistently been the number one place that I come to whenever a Linux
issue has me stumped. You have all even been patient with me when I have
veered 'off-topic'.

It's strange to leave, but a more simple system that works is feeling
better than a more complex system that I could only get half working.
That's not a comment on MythTV. When I've had it 100% functional, I've
loved it! The signal issues just cropped up too regularly for me though.
We'd go months without TV. Then I'd put some time and effort into
sorting it. Then the signal issues would come back. That's just changed
our use, so MythTV is no longer the best choice for us.

Thanks again! And long may MyhtTV reign.

Cheers,
Damian