[mythtv-users] 30 vs 31

jam jam at tigger.ws
Tue Jun 2 08:19:07 UTC 2020

> On 2 Jun 2020, at 2:12 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> Still haven't seen a response that answers the question "Why should I
>> use 31 and not 30?".  Are there bug fixes, features, improvements of any
>> kind?  So far, all I've seen are new bugs.
>>
>> Dave D.
>
> The new rendering code is the big change - a behind the scenes change,
> but quite significant.  If you have Intel or AMD video, then I believe
> the new rendering code is now able to use them just as well as Nvidia.

Dave the only reason I see is that the devs are interestested in 31 but not in auld stuff like 30.
If you build from source, unlike previous releases I’ve looked at, 30 won't *easily* build on o modern distro like ubuntu 20.04 suse leap 15.2 or I imagine any of the fedora line.
By same token 31 won’t build on older distros.

The app image route may well be the way ahead and I guess the shotcut folk can tell us lots

James