[mythtv-users] Nvidia Shield TV (2019) and Shield TV Pro (2019)

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 00:27:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't have a complete answer for you, but I have heard that the tube
> version is 32-bit only where the rest are 64-bit.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have the Shield TV from a few years ago. Not the first one (maybe
>> 2017), but not the 2019 version.  It works great on streaming app and
>> leanfront and mythtv-frontend.
>>
>> I'm thinking up upgrading my wife's FireTV 4K to something faster.
>>
>> Does anyone know if those mythtv apps also work on the 2019 regular and
>> Pro versions of the Shield TV??
>>
>> Jim A

I just looked at the Tegra Wiki and it lists the Tega X1 as 64 bit for both
the old version used on the Shield TV that I have and on the 2019 versions.
So supposedly both the 2019 tube Shield TV and the Shield TV Pro 2019 use
the same Tega X1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

The big difference between the 2 2019 Shield TVs is the tube has 2GB RAM
and  8BG internal storage with only microSD expansion storage, and no USB 3
ports.  The Pro model has 3GB RAM and 16 GB internal Storage and 2 USB 3
ports.

I'm looking at upgrading my FireTV 4K with another Shield TV.  I had to
give my old 2017 Shield TV to my wife so I'm stuck with the old FIreTV 4K
for a while.  It's good, but compared to the Shield TV I think the Shield
TV is much faster at loading apps and the playback is better on many apps
by a little bit.

Unless someone warns me off, I'm probably going to order a 2019 Nvidia
Shield TV Pro.

JIm A