[mythtv-users] Help, I've screwed up mythfrontend and Leanfront on my FireTV

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jul 30 11:33:50 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 05:35:46 -0400, you wrote:

>On 7/29/20 10:19 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 19:13:47 -0400, you wrote:

>>> Next I got mythfrontend v31.0-79 working on the Shield TV and see no
>>> issues once the database setting were fixed. But on Leanfront v0-172 I
>>> can watch recording and videos, but LiveTV regardless of channel plays
>>> one of my Video file from my NAS, same video no matter which channel.
>> Playing the same video file all the time is characteristic of a demo
>> tuner having been set up and pointed to that video file.
>
>I'm guessing that's a backend setup thing you can do. I'm not aware of
>it. It's also a problem I have on my traditional PC based frontends.
>When I use mythfrontend on a PC or on my Shield TV they behave exactly
>as they did before. I'm going to test a few tuner specific settings and
>do more testing today.
>
>There's nothing to lose if I have to blow it all up and start again.
>Part of my rebuild was to use a SSD for my boot drive. I forgot how
>really fast those things are compared to Hard drives.

You should know if you have set up a demo tuner.  But maybe you
slipped and clicked on the wrong thing.  If you run mythtv-setup and
go to "2. Capture cards", you should see a tuner listed with "DEMO :"
at the front, followed by the name of the file it is pointed to.  If
you have one or more of them, delete them.

A demo tuner is used to set up backends where there are no real tuners
available.  When you record from it, or play live TV from it, it will
always play the same video file it is pointed to.  I think it will
repeat from the beginning of the file whenever it reaches the end.
Demo tuners are very useful when you want to have a backend in a
virtual machine so that you can try something with it.  They also
allow you to make a slave backend without any real tuners so that
slave backend can provide storage group directories to the MythTV
system.