[mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 01:07:21 UTC 2020

> Decided to check the wiki - yes it appears the command should be two lines not one.
>
> Or more specifically - the intention (hint) is not to preface the normal instructions with the sudo --login --user mythtv. The intention is to use sudo --login --user mythtv without a command at the end to open an interactive shell and enter the commands inside that shell.

Since I wrote the hint, and it "works for me", the intention was to prefix all of the
commands with it. What I actually use is a BEcomeMythtv alias:

   alias bem='sudo --set-home --login --user=mythtv'

So: bem tv_grab..... does the desired job. Prefixing all four of the
grabber setup commands with bem or the full sudo line above.

Interesting. For me:
bem echo \$HOME

Is a different result to:
bem echo $HOME

Maybe differences in default security policy between distros? Maybe different default shell quoting?

But it's wrong for yet another reason. Some users have a system mythtv user in
/etc/password with no HOME or SHELL. Using MYTHCONFDIR locates the things
'normally' found in ~mythtv.

A cop-out may be specifying the full path or warning that MYTHCONFDIR may
be in play (which can be discovered with):

   $ systemctl show --property=User,Home,Environment mythtv-backend
   Environment=MYTHCONFDIR=/home/mythtv/.mythtv
   User=mythtv

But, that's only valid for systemd. Better cop-out: run as the mythtv
user and location of it's configuration directory. Which ruins the
whole hint concept.

--
Bill