[mythtv-users] mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:47:42 UTC 2020

Decided to check the wiki - yes it appears the command should be two lines not one.

Or more specifically - the intention (hint) is not to preface the normal instructions with the sudo --login --user mythtv. The intention is to use sudo --login --user mythtv without a command at the end to open an interactive shell and enter the commands inside that shell.

In my book that's the same as "sudo su mythtv".  You have to exit from that to get my to your normal user as well. I generally start by doing "cd" just to make sure I'm at $HOME. But it works either way.

Jim A

I don't believe that it is exactly the same but whether the difference is significant in this context i will leave to others. Testing using "pwd" and "echo $PATH" between the two methods showed differences on my system that may be significant.

At least the original problem (escaping the $) is now resolved.