[mythtv-users] HDPVR intermittent failure

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:51:49 UTC 2020

On 7/29/20 2:27 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I wasn't sure exactly what John P was referring to re fixes/31.  I did
> not apply any fixes, just installed latest distro of 18.04. I actually
> started with xubuntu 20.04 but had problems with screen-timeouts that I
> couldn't resolve. Tried ubuntu 20.04 but it crashed right after install
> during the update process.  My mobo is like 10 years old so I suspect
> there may have been some hardware incompatibilities. Went to 18.04 and
> it installed smoothly.

Interesting.  So if you're running the Ubuntu-provided MythTV, I'd say
that you're running 29.1+fixes, if I'm reading
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/mythtv right?

I'm running 29.1+fixes myself on 16.04, as my  Mythbuntu PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.29/+sourcepub/10541501/+listing-archive-extra
as my current MythTV machine's origins can be traced to MythBuntu rather
than Ubuntu + the MythTV package.

If you are indeed on 29.1+fixes from Ubuntu and your HD PVR 2 works,
then I suspect it may be fair to say that the statement in the github
page of "If you want to use this with MythTV, you will want fixes/31 or
later." may be incorrect?

John P: Can you share your motivations for this requirement?

> If you go up to myth 31 note that XMLTV is a /big change/ for the
> listings grabber, and there is a learning curve.  Whereas before you
> just entered your schedules direct id/pw in mythtv-setup, now the
> grabber is a whole thing you have to install and configure.  If you
> decide to upgrade check thread "XMLTV setup can't run mythtv-setup as
> user mythtv" for helpful info on getting it working.

Good to know.  So that gives me a thread of 16 messages to sift through.
 There's also a thread of 20 messages with the subject of
"[mythtv-users] lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04".
And maybe there are other troubles that somebody might encounter when
upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 (or newer), which might require locating and
sifting through other email threads.  There's also a thread of 9
messages with the subject line of "[mythtv-users] successful upgrades to
ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04?"

Which perhaps brings us to what I intended to be my original point:
Is there any guide (e.g. a wiki where people could contribute) that may
serve as a single source of the information that one might need before
attempting an upgrade of a MythTV system?  Which might include things
that change on the OS level (e.g. lirc) or things that change on the
MythTV level (e.g. XMLTV)

Thanks!
-WD