[mythtv-users] udev and systemd requirements for MythTV on Ubuntu 20.04?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 14:43:53 UTC 2020

I'm doing some planning for moving from MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 18.04 to
MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 20.04.  There are a lot of considerations, like my
current system using MariaDB and the current issue regarding that on Ubuntu
20.04.

However, my concerns today are related to udev rules and systemd overrides.

On my 18.04 system, I have one udev rule related to mythtv;
99-mythbackend.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"

When I installed mythtv v31 on a virtual machine of Ubuntu 20.04, this file
was not there. I probably created it myself because of the Hauppauge WinTV
HD Quad PCIe tuner card I was using.

So is this still necessary for Ubuntu 20.04 and mythtv v31?

Also,  on my current system I have an override file in
/etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/ythtv-backend-override.conf:
[Unit]
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter2-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter2-frontend0.device
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter3-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter3-frontend0.device

After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service

I figure this is also related to the Hauppauge card and also my HDHomerun
tuner.

Again I think I did this back with mythtv29 and it's stayed through the
upgrades to v31.

Do I need any of this in mythtv v31 on Ubuntu 20.04?

On the Ubuntu 20.04 test virtual machine I have only the HDHR tuner and it
works fine but I have no udev rules or systemd override file.

Thoughts?

Jim A