[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jul 24 16:15:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 08:49:12 -0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>> 8.0.19-0ubuntu5)

>> > Thanks for that, I wondered if that was an option but have not had the
>> > time to try it.
>>
>> Since I was unable to get myth to install from the repos
>> I installed a LAMP server that happened to use mysql
>> I built from src as per the wiki and using ansible
>> my frontend and backend run on 20.04
>> total time was about 1 hour
>> mythbackend has been running perfectly for months.
>>
>> James
>>

>Why does Myth 31 use mariadb instead of mysql?  Is there something wrong
>with mysql?  I've never had a problem with it.  Can you choose to go with
>mysql rather than mariadb when installing?

Some of us prefer to use MariaDB.  In my case, that is because MySQL
has changed from using the "readline" library to "editline" in its
command line programs.  That means the command line programs do not do
proper command history, and I use command history all the time when
doing SQL commands.  Using readline contaminated MySQL's licensing -
that was why Oracle changed it to editline, so that they could use
their own license and make MySQL less open.  In Fedora/Red Hat, the
default database server is MariaDB and has been for some time,
probably as a result of that sort of change.  But in Ubuntu, the
default is still MySQL, and if no database server is installed when
you install the MythTV packages, MySQL will be installed automatically
as it is the first option specified in the MythTV packages.  If you
want MariaDB, you need to manually install that before installing the
MythTV packages.