[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 08:32:08 UTC 2020

On 7/23/20 11:42 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:27:50 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Is there any "preferred" or most stable Ubuntu version for the latest
>> MythTV?  It seems like many people are running 18.04, but there are 19.10
>> and 20.04 versions as well.  Other things being equal I would go to the
>> latest, but in the past I have seen people having problems running Myth on
>> the latest releases.
> There is a problem with the latest MariaDB versions which you get in
> Ubuntu 20.04.  So if you want to use MariaDB, stick with 18.04 for the
> moment.  If you are using lirc, the packages are broken on 18.04 and
> 20.04, but I have fix scripts on my web server for both now.  I do not
> have scripts for the non-LTS Ubuntus.  You can not do an upgrade from
> LTS to 20.04 yet - the 20.4.1 release which allows that is still a few
> days away.

Stephen,

I'm glad you posted these comments. I've been wondering about the Ubuntu
20.04 issue with MariaDB. I'm following the bug report
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-8.0/+bug/1877504) but
no update lately.

 From my experimenting I believe that if I have to move to Ubuntu 20.04
before there is a fix, my only choice would be to back everything up
create a new Ubuntu 20.04 system and NOT install MariDB before I install
Mythtv v31 and proceed with MySQL 8. I have been able to restore a daily
backup from MariaDB to a new MySQL system using:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename /full path to
directory/mythconverg-1214-20080626150513.sql.gz