[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

jam jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jul 20 00:56:39 UTC 2020

> On 19 Jul 2020, at 6:27 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks, just a few questions. The need for a slave backend is for many reasons and 2 that caught my mind were:
>>>
>>> 1.� adding more tuners.
>>>
>>> 2.� adding more storage.
>>>

>>> Having the tuners defined locally on the slave and no local video source makes sense because I only use one video source and all my tuners could use it because there are one set up OTA TV stations.
>>>
>>> However, I'm confused on the Storage setup.� The Storage Groups are all defined on the master, but how is the slave local storage defined and used?� It sound like you do all your recording on the master.
>>> A point on the remote tuners: Using a source on another host is only possible if the remote tuners
>> are the same type.
>>
>> A source defines a method of tuning as well as a selection of channels. Different tuner types require different sources.
>>

> So on my current master backend I have Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad PCIe card.  My slave would have a HDHomerun Quatro, so different types of tuners.  They could use the same list of channels provided by Schedules Direct, I think. The master backend could do the scan on one of the WinTV tuners, but not the HDHR tuners, so it could only establish input connections for the WinTV tuners, unless Mythtv can tell the slave to scan the HDHR tuners?

Jim I’m a cynic, so questions are retorical:

12 tuners !! (For those who dont know HD Homerun will not do virtual tuners) (and I’m assuming 1 real + 1 virtual tuner per hw)
For disk storage
  I use a NUC for my master:
  /dev/nvme0n1p5:
 Timing cached reads:   22212 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11163.35 MB/se
 Timing buffered disk reads: 6830 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2276.14 MB/sec

 If you want RaPi the Rock Pi gives about 1500 MB/sec on m2
 Also I have used Haupauge Dual HD and Leadteck Win TV on the Rock Pi (but do get the acer M2 from them)

So I see no need for master/slave BE for me.
I’m using 2 off Haupauge Dual HD and as a test I recorded 8 channels (don’t recall but as many HD as I could find, at least 5)
and performance (on an i3 NUC) was flawless.
I too am an auld fart and in last 2 yaers I have never had confilt (on this setup).
We get a burst of movies on sat, mon and fri with a derth midweek.
James