[mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:59:10 UTC 2020

On 7/19/20 4:04 AM, John wrote:
> On 18/07/2020 23:36, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> I have a remote v31 backend with a PCIe tuner card running on Ubuntu
>> 18.04 with mariadb-server.
>>
>> I'd like to add a v31 slave backend running on a RPi4 using a HDHR
>> quatro tuner.
>>
>> Is there a guide on how to set this up? I know how to setup the RPi4
>> as a v31 remote backend, just not sure as to how to make it a slave
>> off of my master. I see one setting in mythtv-setup -> General that
>> has a check box for master or slave. There has to be more than that?
>>
>> 1. Will the slave use the maradb on the Master?
>>
>> 2. Will all frontends see the recordings/ EPG on both the master and
>> slave?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I didn't find much using google and
>> what I did was many versions old.
>>
>> Jim A

> I was really surprised how easy it was to set up a slave backend.
>
> Make sure the new master is accessible remotely over your network ie a
> remote frontend works fine.
>
> Then starting from a stand alone combined front & backend.
>
> Uninstalled the database as a slave uses the one on the machine to be
> used as master.
>
> Altered the config.xml for the slave with the host name pointing to
> the new master.
>
> Changed the master slave  setting in mythtv-setup .
>
> When running setup on the slave it should now see the masters database.
>
> You set up the tuners on the slave locally.
>
> If you have sources defined on the master the slave can see them so
> you don't need to do channel scan.
>
> The storage directories on the slave should all be blank in which case
> the system uses those defined on the master.
>
> The slave should be setup so that it sees the file system on the
> master at the same address.
>
> I shared the recording folder from the master using samba - works fine
> on a Pi 3B.
>
> Recordings are then seamlessly accessible on the master .

Thanks, just a few questions. The need for a slave backend is for many
reasons and 2 that caught my mind were:

1.  adding more tuners.

2.  adding more storage.

Having the tuners defined locally on the slave and no local video source
makes sense because I only use one video source and all my tuners could
use it because there are one set up OTA TV stations.

However, I'm confused on the Storage setup.  The Storage Groups are all
defined on the master, but how is the slave local storage defined and
used?  It sound like you do all your recording on the master.

Jim A