[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 16 20:30:49 UTC 2020

Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 07:57, DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04.  I would like to upgrade to
>> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04.  But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>> Ubuntu?  I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>> hose the whole setup.
>>

> A little late to the conversation here, but I'm still running 16.04 on
> Mythtv 30 and it runs fine, I thought there were also also Mythtv 31
> packages also but appears not.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/31/+packages
>
> need to goto at least18.04 for that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony

I wish I had checked this earlier. I did a combined upgrade ubuntu
16.04->18.04 and 0.28->0.29 on a BE and separate FE this week.

As usual, I did a backup of the database first, then upgraded from
0.28->0.29, then upgraded the release.

Both systems are on lvm on top of raid, so I simply mirrored the root lv
at each step. That way, if the system borked completely or partially, I
would be able to mount the needed mirror volume and/or boot from it. I
do this at every dist-upgrade, in fact, because sometimes the system
gets broken...or a script overwrites/deletes something that you actually
wanted to keep...

Anyhow, this time, everything worked fine (except ffmpeg, but that is
another can of worms...)

I relate all this because clonezilla and co. seem very inflexible. It
would be better to have a strategy for dealing with updates/upgrades in
a seamless way. Of course, filesystems like zfs might be an even better
option but I haven't been brave enough for that.

Leo