[mythtv-users] Stability of FE/BE combos?

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:54:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-15 8:46 a.m., Ian Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 9:10 AM James Abernathy, <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So I'm wondering if this is similar to other's experiences?
>>
>> I don't think I could ever use a combo FE/BE in production based on my
>> experiences.
>>

> I've been running a combo FE/BE since 2011. Once in a blue moon it acts
> slow for a minute or two because I need to upgrade its 2 gigs of RAM, but
> apart from that it's been fine. Never had a screen freeze or a resolution
> problem.

I've been using a combined FE/BE since 2011 as well (currently on
Mythbuntu 14.04 which has been rock solid).  I have the PVR  (Intel
i5-2500K with 8GB RAM) set to automatically power down when not busy and
then power on 5 minutes before a recording.

The FE has been very stable, only occasionally crashing while playing
(maybe once a year?)  However the frontend will lock up when deleting a
video file (never a recording).  If I wait for a short while, the
frontend will disappear and return to the mythwelcome screen.  The
backend continues working properly.  I can then easily restart the FE
from the mythwelcome screen.

This setup continues to work well for me and three other PVR's I built
for family.  Hence I have no reservations about running both the FE and
BE on the same computer.

Curtis