[mythtv-users] Upgrade order for MythTV vs Ubuntu

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jul 13 11:25:12 UTC 2020

On 13 Jul 2020, at 4:55 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> I have MythTV 0.28 running on Ubuntu 16.04.  I would like to upgrade to
>> MythTV 31 and Ubuntu 18.04.  But what should I upgrade first, MythTV or
>> Ubuntu?  I don't want to run afoul of any dependencies, etc., that would
>> hose the whole setup.
>
> I do not think you will get packages for the later MythTV versions on
> 16.04, and I am not sure if 0.28 packages are available for 18.04
> either.  You may have to do both at once - upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 and
> MythTV to v30 or v31 at the same time.  You might like to hunt down
> the threads on this list to do with upgrading to 18.04 - there are a
> number of problems you may meet, but if you are using lirc, you
> certainly will have problems with that and will need the fix script I
> wrote.
>
> You could update MythTV to 0.29 before the 18.04 upgrade, but I do not
> see any great point in doing that when you can just go directly to v31
> on 18.04.  What EPG are you using?  The old Schedules Direct builtin
> EPG is going or gone, so you will need to allow yourself time to
> update that as well if you need it.
>
> I always do a Clonezilla image backup of my system partition before I
> attempt any major upgrade like this.  About a third of the time, my
> first attempt fails badly enough that I restore the backup, usually
> because I am out of time before the next scheduled recording.  The
> second time I do the upgrade it normally works as I know what the
> problems are and have fixes ready for them.

Stephen
being a bear of little brain (Winnie thur Pooh) I was not able to get pre-built packages to work. I found ansible sorted out dependancies and building from source was quick and easy. I did not build 28 but I have no doubt that it is as easy. See the wiki.
James
PS I don't recall when we went to whole numbers if it should be 0.28 not 28 sorry.